Thursday, September 8, 2011

This day in history Sept. 9 2011

This day in history ( Sept. 9, 2011)
Congress renames the nation "United States of America", 1776


Automotive
President Johnson signs the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, 1966



Civil War
Yankees capture Chattanooga, 1863
Cold War
Mao Zedong Dies, 1976
Crime
The Boston police department goes on strike, 1919
Disaster
Powerful earthquake rocks Algeria, 195
General Interest
Riot at Attica prison, 1971

Chairman Mao dies, 1976

Hollywood
Audiences are treated to surprise preview of Gone with the Wind, 1939
Literary

Alice B. Toklas moves in permanently with Gertrude Stein, 1910
Old West

California becomes the 31st state in record time, 1850
Presidential

Cleveland baby born in White House, 1893
Sports

Sandy Koufax pitches perfect game, 19
Vietnam War

Hackney receives Medal of Honor, 1967


Ho Chi Minh buried in Hanoi, 1969
DeBellevue becomes leading American Ace, 1972

World War I

U.S. Secretary of State Lansing demands recall of Austro-Hungarian ambassador, 1914
World War II
Japanese bomb U.S. mainland, 1942

Allies land at Salerno and Taranto, 1943



Todays Pic dump




Don 't fall asleep at work







Todays oldie but goodie....
when I started my blog, my definition of "an oldie but goodie"was a song before 1980
however, I wll make an exception for this one. This song and video was ground breaking
for the music industry.....enjoy






The cartoon section...









Todays Birthdays
1966 - Adam Sandler
1960 - Hugh Grant
1958 - Lita Ford
1951 - Michael Keaton
1828 - Leo Tolstoy

A bonus pic dump and cartoons













Watch out!! Muhhamad Ali is floating
like a butterfly, and stinging  like a bee......



Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
Muhammad Ali

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own.
Muhammad Ali
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."
Muhammad Ali
I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.
Muhammad Ali
I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark.
Muhammad Ali
and a few bonus quotes

It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe.
Muhammad Ali

It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.
Muhammad Ali
it's not bragging if you can back it up.
Muhammad Ali
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
Muhammad Ali


All posts, jokes, stories, cartoons, photos and videos on this site
are understood to be in the public domain.
If you hold the copyright to any of them and would like me to remove them,
please contact me at papacase77@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment