Friday, November 23, 2012

Mamma's Bible

Four brothers left home for college, and they became successful doctors and lawyers and prospered.

Some years later, they chatted after having dinner together. They discussed the gifts they were able to give their elderly mother who lived far away in another city.

The first said, "I had a big house built for Mama."

The second said, " I had a hundred thousand dollar theater built in the house."

The third said, "I had my Mercedes dealer deliver an SL600 to her."

The fourth said, "You know how Mamma loved reading the Bible and you know she can't read anymore because she can't see very well. I met this preacher who told me about a parrot that can recite the entire bible. It took twenty preachers 12 years to teach him. I had to pledge to contribute $100,000 a year for twenty years to the church, but it was worth it. Mamma just has to name the chapter and verse and the parrot will recite it."

The other brothers were impressed.

After the holidays Mom sent out her Thank You notes. She wrote:

"Milton, the house you built is so huge. I live in only one room, but I have to clean the whole house. Thanks anyway."

"Marvin, I am too old to travel. I stay home, I have my groceries delivered, so I never use the Mercedes. The thought was good. Thanks."

"Michael, you gave me and expensive theater with Dolby sound, it could hold 50 people, but all of my friends are dead, I've lost my hearing and I'm nearly blind. I'll never use it. Thank you for the gesture just the same."

"Dearest Melvin, you were the only son to have the good sense to give a little thought to your gift. The chicken was delicious. Thank you." 


*************************************************************

Morning Pic Dump


  









**********************************************************

Birthdays on November 23rd

 1862 - Gilbert Parker
1992 - Miley Cyrus
1956 - Steve Harvey
1888 - Harpo Marx
1987 - Nicole Polizzi

**********************************************************

Todays Pic Dump










 **********************************************************
   


Afternoon Funnies









 

*********************************************

Today in History

First issue of Life is published, 1936
American Revolution
Reluctant Patriot Edward Rutledge is born, 1749
Automotive
Elvis Presley's "Spinout" opens in U.S. theaters, 1966
Civil War
Union General Benjamin Prentiss is born, 1819
Cold War
Reagan gives CIA authority to establish the Contras, 1981
Crime
The Birdman of Alcatraz is allowed a small taste of freedom, 1959
Disaster
Southern Italy rocked by earthquake, 1980
General Interest
Flemish pretender executed in London, 1499
Billy the Kid born, 1859
"Boss" Tweed delivered to authorities, 1876
IRA member sentenced for Mountbatten's assassination, 1979
Hollywood
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory creator Roald Dahl dies, 1990
Literary
Far from the Madding Crowd, by Thomas Hardy, is published, 1874
Music
Blues legend Robert Johnson makes first-ever recording, 1936
Old West
Colorado governor sends militia to Cripple Creek, 1903
Presidential
Franklin Pierce is born, 1804
Sports
BC wins on Hail Mary, 1984
Vietnam War
Laird discloses the details of the Son Tay Raid, 1970
Paris peace talks deadlocked, 1972
World War I
Battle of Ctesiphon in Mesopotamia, 1915
World War II
Romania becomes an Axis "power", 1940
*******************************************************************
All posts and picture are assumed to be in the public domain and therefore no copyrights.
If you hold the copyright to anything published...let me know 

No comments:

Post a Comment